Safety & Mine Rescue
Safety is a central to every aspect of mine operations. Underground mines cannot operate without mine rescue teams that meet stringent standards and training requirements.
MAMI’s Manitoba Mine Rescue is at the heart of mining operations throughout Manitoba. Our Mine Rescue Committee is responsible for oversight of the Mine Rescue program, reporting to the Board of Directors.
Manitoba Mine Rescue is fundamental to ensuring the highest safety standards for the mining industry’s business activities and operations. This includes:
- Providing mine rescue services to member companies
- Training, interaction and liaison with government and other interest groups
- Mine rescue and emergency response preparedness
- State of the art accident prevention and risk mitigation
Manitoba Mine Rescue and Safety Milestones
- Provided strategic direction to assist the Manitoba Mining Industry achieve a 0.43 LTA frequency rate in 2012 which is the lowest it has been since recording injury statistics
- Instrumental in reducing the number of fatalities in the mining sector to one in the last 12 years. This represents over 95 million exposure hours.
- Coordinated the establishment of emergency planning, preparedness and response protocols for the Manitoba mining industry, which continues to be among the best in the world.
- Co-operated with the Manitoba Workers Compensation Board and Workplace Safety Division to identify and implement state-of-the-art, prevention and return to work strategies.
- Shared “lessons learned” and safety and risk management information among all member companies.